Sunday, August 03, 2008

Noor- a soap opera star?


I'm going to settle this once and for all people (and I mean you Will!). NO! I did not name Noor after the now insanely popular Turkish soap opera, whose male star (Turkish model Kivanc Tatlitu) has managed to secure a loyal (some would say obsessive) following of several million Arabs and is making women swoon from Gaza to Riyadh (my mother confirmed this when she said she called her friend around Maghrib time in Gaza City to chat and she quipped "I can't talk now- I'm watching Noor. Aren't you? Every TV set in Gaza is turned to it!").

In fact, I'd like to think THEY were inspired to name the show and the character Noor after my own little ray of light... except that the show originally aired in Turkey 3 years ago (where, incidentally, it was a flop).

I guess when you are living in Gaza these days, escapism isn't such a bad thing (though I wish the masses were half as enthusiastic about .... I dunno, any number of things that pop to mind).

Claims are numerous that many a marriage has ended in divorce in weeks past over the show.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I add my voice to yours,
I also did not name my 3 year old Alma after the little girl in the Turkish soap opera Noor as well!!!
So people in the street, malls and at the pediatrician's office,stop asking me the same question, my Alma came long before Noor was aired on MBC! and our version of the name is Arabic!

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your little noor is cute. I hope you and your husband can reunite.

O.Tanrisever
Ankara-Turkey

6:16 PM  
Blogger that chick said...

she is utterly beautiful.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

They say great minds think alike :) ...I wrote a post too about noor on the blog ...stating the same viewpoint "escapism that is "

http://www.contemplating-from-gaza.blogspot.com/

Heba

12:49 PM  
Blogger ياسمين حميد said...

I find your little cutie much more beautiful than the turkish Noor. I really don't understand why so many people like that soap opera...
Maybe it is escapism like you say, and not only in Gaza!

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why did the marriages end? because of the soap opera?

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree what is the fascination with noor

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anchor baby

12:05 PM  
Blogger melissa6 said...

here in nazareth everyone is also addicted to Noor!!!!!

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh... couldn't have said it better myself!

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh.. I couldn't have said it better myself. My little Noor too, was NOT named after this show. Thank you very much!

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home