Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pain at the pump? Think of Gaza.

If you are in the US, you are bound to be feeing the "pain at the pump" as the news networks like to put it.

I was talking to my father today in Gaza. "How's the car doing? Did you fix that loud noise its making?" he asks, ever the concerned parents.

"Yes, its purring like a kitten now, and I'm $400 poorer. Lucky car. But the gas is $4 a gallon now."

"Yeah well we don't have guess, don't complain."

In fact, he was quick to point out that gas is in such short supply now in Gaza that its selling on the black market for 600 Shekels per 20 liters, the equivalent of $35 per gallon. Yes, you read that correctly: ONE GALLON= $35.

Of course the real problem is not for the average "consumer", since Gazans are not really "gas guzzlers"; it is for the things that fuel powers- everything from water pumps to hospital generators.

A brief email from my dad and some pictures he took:

Dear Laila:

I attached some pictures of GAZA today. Almost no cars in the streets as there is no Gas ( my car is parked ), little diesel by ration to taxis. People started using biodiesel ( cooking oil instead of Diesel ) which causes irritation to the skin, eyes and breathing. People use masks when they walk to minimize the smell. Streets are clean as you can see, 100 times cleaner than Cairo. Food supplies are twice as expensive.

Taxis are scarce now. but if you find one it costs double or triple what it used to be. Public taxis run on bio-diesel now because of shortage of fuel. 2 NIS per person. Private taxi costs 20 NIS in town. People walk a lot more now.

I attached photos of empty streets of Gaza because of the fuel shortage and people standing in long lines to receive coupons to get Gas by ration ,just like what happened in Europe during the second world war.

Baba


The sign reads: "Travel...Education...Medical treatment...Hajj...Humanitarian needs..why have we been prevented from them?"





5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Laila,

I read your blog as often as I can and appreciate being able to see what life in Gaza is really like. What Israel is doing to Palestine and its people is unacceptable. Which leads me to my point for writing. I wonder whether you may help me to distribute a petition to the EU to suspend the EU/Israel Association Trade Agreement by either including it in one of your daily writings or passing it on to friends, family and acquaintences (or both). Please consider it. The petition can be found here

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/Suspend-EU-Israel-Trade-Agreement

Kindest Regards

JC

3:17 PM  
Blogger SM said...

This is so sad! And I'm over here freaking out about $4/gallon...
I think the palestinians, or arabs in general living in the US take so many things for granted. We could have been in the same situation as palestenians, yet we only remember them in our du'as every jumm'ah.
I pray that God makes it easier for them.

By the way, I found your blog a long time ago and I'm impressed by how consistent your posts are. Keep up the good work, I have enjoyed reading your posts.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Najeeba said...

Hello Sis,
You give us a description of Palestine that is not in the newspapers. Its nice and sad to read your blog. MashaAllah, you have got cute kids. I wonder how will they look upon the world in future after growing in two different cultures, the US and Palestine.
Wassalam.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Julia Riber Pitt said...

Thank you for giving insight as to what is going on in Gaza. The situation there sounds horrible. It makes me realize how much Americans such as myself take for granted, when there are people who face even greater hardships (not to mention the fact that Israel wouldn't be able to get away with these crimes if it wasn't for the USA having their back all the time). The whole thing is disgusting.

8:50 PM  
Blogger nuh ibn zbigniew gondek said...

As salaam alaikum.

$35!!!

You don't hear that on CNN or Fox.

Ma'as salaama,
nuh ibn

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home