Thursday, January 11, 2007

the hiatus explained

Yousuf and I left Gaza rather suddenly at the end of December to join Yassine for the holidays. As with my arrival, it was extremely abrupt. My bags were packed and we just waited for a phonecall from the taxi driver, which he said could come at any moment.

It came at 1:30am two weeks ago, not at all unexpected when the Israelis inform the Palestinians side of Rafah's opening only a few hours ahead of time. So a very sleepy Yousuf and I took our bags and drudged off to the border, where we waited in the taxi in a very chilly Rafah from 2:30 am until 10 am, when the Europeans arrived and it officially opened. Only two busloads were allowed through before the border closed again, and we barely made it out (very barely-we nearly got left out of our bus had it not been for the bravery of one passenger, who whisked Yousuf away from my arms through the window of the bus, just as I jostled my way in amidst a few hundred others).

I then took it upon myself to take a holiday not only from work, but from blogging as well (that and was busy with Yousuf and his two cousins, 5 and 2).

Coming back, as usual, was very surreal, as if I have just dropped into some alternate universe, which, as Gaza, is in its own vaccum, but in an entirely different way.

There is so much to blog on, and I will continue to do that, and update you on my latest articles, of which there are a few.

3 Comments:

Blogger ياسمين حميد said...

welcome back!
I hope you enjoyed your holidays

3:25 PM  
Blogger Heba said...

laila ..i hope you enjoy your time..i wish we could meet ..it was just bad luck ..may be next time ..a kiss to yousef . Heba

9:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Dear Palestinian Mother
I am an Iranian journalist that is called to be the owner of world's youngest journalist title. I am 16 now and I started the journalistic and media jobs when I was 8.
I found your blog after surfing “Toot” for a while. Of course you know that toot is a Persian phrase, come into Arabic language after the suddenly attack of Arabs to Iran, the famous Islamic wars that ended the Persian kingdom history and established a new session in Iran.
I was never minding that Palestinians are able to access communicative and informative merchandises and possibilities such as the Internet access lines or personal computers.
It would be so grateful if we can start a mutual ideas exchange. I invite you to take a visit from my English blog that is working for a few months, my chief blogging experience returns to my Persian weblog that is being moderated for more than 17 months.
God bless you...

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home