Sunday, January 08, 2006

What will he say?

As Sharon lies on his deathbed, well wishes and prayers have poured in from around the world for the “man of peace” as President Bush put it, the “man could never be stopped”, to quote the liberal Haaretz.

Before Arafat died, he was decried as an “obstacle to peace”; and post-mortem, there was a “new window of opportunity.” The world was considered a better, safer place.

But Sharon? Well. Sharon is Sharon. He is a man of peace. Of peace. A piece of this, a piece of that, makes a whole I guess. A whole lot of peace.

Peace. Like how peaceful, I think, those souls he crushed must be now. Those souls of Sabra and Shatilla. Of Qibya and Braij. Of Rafah and Jabaliya, Jenin and...

Now I'm sure people are saying-yes, but people change. Sure. Change. Change is the only constant right?

Ask Iman Hims's family, who picked up her pieces. Her peace. Or Nooran Deeb. Or or or...

Ask Akram Salah, 39, an unemployed father of eight from Rafah. His home-and his life- was demolished last year.

"Let me tell you something about Sharon," he told me. "Opinions on peace and how to achieve it differ from politician to politician. But the only language Sharon knew was the language of destruction and war. My entire life's work was destroyed by Sharon in one night.

Peace.

The Butcher, the baker, the... Whitewashing of Ariel Sharon.

"Apologise for what?"

And I think, will he meet those pieces, on his final day?

And when he meets his Maker, what, then, will he say?

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting. I accidentally (are there any accidents?) stumbled upon your blog. I don't read blogs much, yet I read this one. Just a bit about myself: I happen to be Mexican, living in Los Angeles. I guess I could say that I live in 'occupied' territory, but I won't. I guess a strong argument can be made supporting this. History can be quoted, events, facts, etc. I can point to the tragic fact that, last year alone, almost 500 Mexicans died in their attempt to cross into the U.S. I suppose that all this can be used to stir discontent and hatred among Mexicans and Americans. I’m though very much happy that this is not the case among the 99% of the millions (20-25 million or so) of Mexicans residing (legally or not) in the U.S. I’m happy to share with you that we live happily, for the most part, among a very diverse group of people. Yes, we had a riot not long ago (I live near Watts where the riots originated) but its’ forgotten already. I, sincerely, wish that your part of the world lived as we do in L.A.—diverse and crazy as it is. I mean this from my heart and it saddens me that violence as a means to solve the Palestinian/Jewish situation is not openly rejected by more Palestinians.

Frankly, kids of Mexican parents—I’m one and now have kids of my own-- (and other ethnic groups) are just too busy fighting each other in boxing rings, soccer fields, basketball courts, dating one another, and so on and so on…to care much about our differences. I know, it’s too simplistic to think this way about the conflict involving Palestinians and Israelis. Nonetheless, get a life I’d like to say, and be more excited and interested in teaching your children to fight Israelis in the multitude soccer fields, boxing rings and classrooms (achieving what Israeli education has….) instead of teaching them to be martyrs and haters. Get along for this Palestinian/Israeli thing is getting boring. Can say more but have to run.

Peace out,

Aureliano Nava

8:42 AM  
Blogger Anne Rettenberg LCSW said...

Aureliano, it's better to study the facts completely before coming up with judgments. Just my opinion.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Zak said...

the answer to that last line: "I needed more time"...

Still fate intertwined Arafat and Sharons lives in a way that seemed to guarantee their ending would be in the same way..Arafat a prisoner in his complex..Sharon a prisoner in his body..

2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the U.S. we are treated to daily updates about the war criminals health. When the thing finally meets the Inferno, will our flags be lowered to half staff?

Sharon can be credited for helping Americans wake up to a sad reality:

"...I want to tell you something very clear, don't worry about American pressure on Israel, we, the Jewish people control America and the Americans know it." - Ariel Sharon 10/3/2001.

http://la.indymedia.org/news/2006/01/143996.php

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I wonder if Sharon demolished the house of the suicide bomber who severly injured me and killed six others. Oh...I am supposed to feel sorry for her, right?

"We are not teaching our children to be martyrs and haters, we are teaching them about hope and perseverance and faith, otherwise we would never have survived this long in these conditions"

How is blowing up a bus a symbol of perseverence and faith?

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home