Sunday, November 26, 2006

What Yousuf's been up too...

As we continue our wait, Yousuf of course waits along with us. Kids are remarkably agile, more than we give them credit for. Of course for Yousuf, this is the second time in his young life he's had to wait for such a long time for the border to open (the last time, he was a tender 8 months). No that doesn't mean he doesn't notice what's happening around him-say something once, and he picks it up. He's remarkably intuitive that way, I think he gets that from his father ;)

Now he's taken to the habit of asking us regularly "when will the border open? I want to go to Lazza?" (yes, Lazza...he still has trouble pronouncing the "Ghain".

He provides the lot of us (my parents and I) a bit of comic relief when out of the blue, or when he has just woken up, stammers "you know, I think today is the day. I think they will open the crossing today" when of course he has not idea what he's going on about.

In the meantime we've tried to make the experience as enjoyable as possible for him-walks on the beach and playing in the sand with my father, taking him on tacky manually run park rides, and his favorite of all, the one that gets him jumping up and down: riding the public bus, jam-packed with people of every shape and color, to downtown. Who knows...

We've also finally chopped off that mane of his-people were beginning to confuse him with a sheep!


Yousuf drinking Tamarind juice in the souk








Yousuf's "before" and "after" pics....




10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
salam for U and your sun . salam for felestin.

1:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
my name is Theresa F. I live in Norway and I have been reading your blog a few times. Actually, I am very interested to learn about the Israel - Palestina conflict, because of the matter of human rights.I am writing a paper(my exam) about this, we could choose any conflict to write about (I am building up my Bachelor Degree).I learned a great deal, and I think I can see what the problem is.I think you are brave & strong raising your child in Palestine. My heart aches for the Palestinian people...I havent experienced war, but I have experienced fysical & psychological terror from I was very small..Anyway, I met 3 Palestinians on Friday and we had an interesting discussion.Actually, one of them was from Rafah but used to live in Gaza City.He left to come to Norway 7 months ago.I had a hard time to controle my tears..I hope somehow I can do something - peacework at any level.Because I know how terribly hard it can be... Take care, and stay strong
:-) Best regards Theresa

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laila,

Waiting is only one way to look at your situation. On the other hand you are spending time with your family, enjoying the days with your son, writing and therefore communicating your experience to potentially millions around the world. I have no idea who you are, and I write this from thousands of miles away in New York City but by reading your words I feel comunicated to. It is very good to hear the truth of people's everyday lives in your situation, rather than hearing only the senations of the press. So waiting is only part of what you are doing.

Please keep up the writing, the wait is only temporary.

Thank you,

Leon Reid IV

NYC,USA

10:35 PM  
Blogger Laila said...

You are absolutely right Leon-thank you for your humbling words of inspiration !!

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, what Leon said :)

We watched the colors video last night and thought of Yousuf. Ali likes the sayyarah part. Stop cutting his hair, already! Is the tamarind picture a "before" or "after"?

4:10 AM  
Blogger misneach said...

I can't believe your bravery sometimes. After "Autumn Clouds" wasn't successfull enough in routing Palestinian morale, I'm sure this Israeli "ceasefire" will continue just long enough to give them an excuse to attack gaza more forcefully.

Be careful.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Nakia said...

Laila, give Yousuf a big boy hug for me, and tell him that he's the bravest, coolest wee guy I know.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Heba said...

laila ..i wrote you several comments and i was curious why they were not visible. anyway 7abeebti ..stay strong ..it is a matter of days ..you can eat lots of fish :) i watched you talking on ALJazeera E and you know i admire how you express things ..it was very impressive ..Stay strong and welcome to Lazza :)Heba

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laila:

Martha and I are praying for you all, hoping that the border will be opened promptly. Yousuf looks beautiful, tell him that uncle Angel and auntie Martha send hugs and kisses to him. Say hello to your parents.

your family in San Juan

Angel

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Laila:

I have been thinking about you and hope that you will be able to get to Gaza soon. Stay well!

Natalia

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home