Saturday, November 25, 2006

Still waiting...

We are still waiting in Arish. I've lost count of the days now. The latest talk on the streets forecasts that Monday will be the day it opens. But I’m skeptical. If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that the Israeli decisions are without rhyme or reason.

As part of a video diary I’m filming about my journey across Rafah, I phoned the Israeli Army spokesperson’s office, and the Israeli Ministry of “Defence” in order to get some answers (though not expecting any). Not surprisingly, they both put me through hoops, forwarding me from one office to the next, each insisting they were not responsible for the crossing. I finally reached a woman who said to email her my “question” and that she would get back to me. She never did.

Sometimes I wonder if Peretz-or whoever it is that makes that ominous decision-just woke up on the wrong side of the bed, or forgot to call in the opening of the crossing that day, or what. But as a friend put it “there is no right side of the bed”. The arbitrariness of it all, whether waiting for the border or a checkpoint to open- and the absoluteness of the decision-the fact that no one, no one can tell you what is happening or ultimately make anything happen except Israel, is simply maddening. I guess that’s the point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home