Tuesday, May 05, 2009

In Baalbeck

Well, we aren't in Gaza, but we did manage to make it to Lebanon after more days of drama (this time, involving Yassine's refugee passport requiring a British transit visa-though we did not even pass through British immigration, but i digress).

We are currently in Wavel Refugee Camp in Baalbeck, enjoying cool mountain weather, spheeha Baalbakia (meat pastries), lots of sumptuous sweets (try an avocado shake mixed with pistachios, honey, and topped with fresh clotted cream and chocolate syrup!), and most of, seeing Yassine's family.

Yousuf got his beautiful locks sheared off before I could utter a word-he was whisked away by his grandmother who said this just wouldn't do :) ! He is running around the camp like a sheep who found its flock.

Noor is enjoying discovering new things too- she bottlefed a baby lamb, and coated herself in ashes from top to bottom as she explored the roof of the building!

The net connection is painstainkingly slow here so will have a post with pics later in the week once we make it to Beirut inshallah.

8 Comments:

Blogger Andreea Badran said...

It is a great place Baalbeck. I've been there 3 times as my husband is Lebanese. I really enjoy it every time I go. I adore that place.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Mervat said...

Sahten for the sfeeha! I went to Baalbeck last July whilst in Lebanon with my family. Stay safe and I hope to hear from you in Beirut.

7:21 AM  
Blogger ياسمين حميد said...

Glad to hear that you are all well.
Waiting for the pics!

9:38 AM  
Blogger A CHASSID OF RECHNITZ said...

good to hear that you are doing better.

10:10 AM  
Blogger sugar maple said...

Salams! I hope your family has a relaxing time in Lebanon, inshallah! I look forward to reading your next entries.

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so delighted to hear that you are safe and you and your children are well and even enjoying life.

You are a really great writer Laila. Your account of the horror at Cairo airport was totally absorbing. Have you written a book yet?

You and your children are utterly amazing.

Back in January reading your blog, I was inspired enough to phone the office of Shlomo Droor and the Israeli navy and demand that they stopped attacking that ship. They stopped the next day!

So not only prayer works!


I so wish and pray for peace in the world. Sometimes I feel like I can hear all the screaming and feel all the suffering.

Reading about your amazing dignity and strength in the midst of this awfulness is like a salve for my mind.

Thank you and Allah bless you all.

Louise (Amsterdam).

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

enjoy the sweets...for the rest,...(sigh!)

4:20 AM  
Blogger Sue Me said...

Masha-allah, you are an excellent writer.i have only just come across your work...amazing!I am a journalist and mother too...i feel your pain, May Allah ease your hardship and that of all the Palestinian people ameen. was salaam

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home