Sunday, December 10, 2006

Gideon Levy on Rafah Crossing

Check out Haaretz's Gideon Levy on the story of Rafah Crossing (hey, Yousuf gets an honorble mention!) in today's paper:

"These people want to return home. Israel does not even allow them this. They are human beings with families, plans and commitments, longings and dignity, but who cares.

Without anyone paying attention, the Gaza Strip has become the most closed-off strip of land in the world - after North Korea. But while North Korea is globally known to be a closed and isolated country, how many people know that the same description applies to a place just an hour away from hedonist Tel Aviv?

What memories will the toddler harbor from the three weeks of waiting in a crowded line with his mother on the border, humiliated and sad on the way home, to incarcerated Gaza, withering in its poverty? And who will be brought to account for this in the end?"

5 Comments:

Blogger Asad Ramallah said...

I can feel your sorrow.
It's so depressing that Rafah is closed most of the year,
and what if a sick boy needs a surgery?!
and what about the money from Qatar? and more money donations? and food?!

we need to stop the siege!

http://almanarasquare.blogspot.com/

.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just one wish: I hope it is the last time you went through all this…
But I am afraid it is not.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Ziz said...

oh laila i'm so -cannot say happy- but relieved for you. at least you made it home! you are in my thoughts every day. may Allah give you strength. we send our duah's and love from istanbul. my little 2,5 yo daugther sends her love to Yousuf as well...

11:27 PM  
Blogger Ziz said...

oh laila i'm so -cannot say happy- but relieved for you. at least you made it home! you are in my thoughts every day. may Allah give you strength. we send our duah's and love from istanbul. my little 2,5 yo daugther sends her love to Yousuf as well...

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laila, I couldn't help myself. I had to put the picture of you and Yousuf as my desktop background, the one with the white rabbit in the back. Your faces inspire me to be good and to try to do the right thing. And to keep spreading the truth about Palestinians and their Israeli jailors; days like today I just could not stop talking about what I experienced in Nablus for two years...it all has to come out or I'll explode. I can never be the Canadian I was before I went in Dec. of 2000.

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home